Friday, August 14, 2009

Small Pleasures or Sometimes You Just Need Orange Sandals


Simple pleasures. Just the phrase brings a smile to my face and I asked some friends to share what their simple indulgences were, especially during these warm Summer months. How does this fit into the Guild and Teams section? Well, I like to think of my friends as my own team, whether they be local or around the country!

My daughter Jen's favorite indulgence is a pedicure or manicure, particularly now that she's 5 months pregnant with her second little boy. She loves being able to sit back and relax while having someone else pamper her in a small way, especially since she soon won't be able to see her toes! Her friend Heather's pick for an indulgence would be a massage, even just a 20 minute one in the middle of the workday. Heather is also about to be a new mom, so many of us can relate to her choice! Their good friend Michelle, mom of 2 little ones, loves ordering Chinese food and renting a movie with her husband and having a glass of wine too. Simple pleasures.

My friend Carol who is a glass artist loves indulging in glass but for smaller pleasures, adores buying handmade soap and body lotion online, mainly because it's much better quality than the big box stores offer. There are so many awesome soap sellers both on Etsy and Artfire that I confess to treating myself and my family often to their wares. My friend Lawatha (also a glass artist, are you surprised?) confesses that her simple pleasure which doesn't happen very often, (not nearly often enough,lol!) is a delicious treat from Coldstone Creamery and I'm with her on that! Can't you just taste the Cake Batter ice cream?

Browse around the categories on the artisan marketplaces and you'll find one-of-a-kind cards for every occasion, beautiful handcrafted jewelry that's unique and affordable, wonderful artwork for your children's rooms (I just purchased some pirate wood signs and mermaid prints for my grandchildren's room in my home), and just about anything you can imagine. Find some simple pleasures of your own and put them in your Favorites for future purchases!

My own recent personal small indulgence? An absolutely wonderful pair of butter soft orange Aerosole sandals that are so comfortable and like walking on air - ahhhhh! So, two different generations and their simple pleasures and indulgences. What's yours?

No comments: