Tuesday, January 24, 2012

I live in a part of the country that has
four distinct seasons and from now through March is my least favorite time
(I much prefer Spring and Fall). The last couple of years in particular, I've had a really hard time getting through the
bone-chilling and hard Northeast winters. Driving is
treacherous here on the unpaved back roads in Cow Country and though I love my house and acreage,
I don't know how many more winters we'll withstand here. New York is a tough place to live and though I'm a native and have been here all my life, between the winters, the roads and the taxes (don't get me started), I think it might be time for a change.


Does the Winter inspire you to create more or do you hibernate? I find myself alternating between being creatively active and just wanting to snuggle under a quilt with good books. The library has been one of my favorite places since childhood and I still go every week. My library of choice is the Cheney Library in Hoosick Falls, everything a small town library should be with a great selection, friendly staff who are always ready for a chat about books, good hours, and access to the online upstate NY library system, so for what isn't on hand in the libary, they can get for me within a few days. Ironically, the book I'm reading right now is Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah. I highly recommend this author and I'm working my way through her books now. Time for a few chapters and a cup of tea now!

1 comment:

Lisa Holman of XSBaggage and Co. said...

We definitely have four distinct seasons here in the Pacific NW as well, but they're not as severe as yours in New York. I love Spring, Summer and Fall. Our summers aren't too hot, so easy to tolerate it. I don't think I would want to live somewhere that doesn't have distinct seasons. And I believe the seasons do spur creativity for the most part. Except when it gets super stormy and all I want to do is curl up with a stack of magazines and a coffee.